Grids -- Explained

A place for Friends of Luftflotte 6
drdart
Site Admin

Grids -- Explained

Post by drdart »

Grid locations in a nutshell can be explained by grid location numbers. A few of you this past year have asked me to better explain this in detail and so now I am just getting to it. Sorry for the delay.

As you know all the maps are divided into X,Y coordinates. If we were using 2 mile grids then it would be fairly easy to find somebody within the selected grid. But we are using 10, 20, and 40 mile grids in all the arena's.

I will use the PTO terrain to show how the grid's can be narrowed down to just a few miles.

In the Map below you will see that Village 87 is located in the 6.4 Grid. But the 6.4 grid is 20 square miles. You would ask, "Where in that grid are you?"

This is where the third number in the coordinates comes into play. Using the number pad on your computers keypad each grid is then broken down into nine numbers. Now if we look at where the village 87 is located we can now give it a third number. The first two numbers are always the map grid coordinates. In this case it is 6.4. Then we look at where village 87 is within the grid and we can give it the third number 8. ( it's close to a 9 but for this instruction I will give it an 8 ) So the grid reference would be 6.4.8. This would direct me to the upper part center in the 6.4 grid.

The fourth number in the grid is a reference to the same nine numbers on the keypad but now it is a location within the third number. In this case it is the number 8. So if I was to give my location as village 87 it would be 6.4.8.9. This would mean I am in the upper right corner of the third number of the 6.4 grid.

I hope this helps those of you who are new or didnt catch on right away. We use the four digit coordinates to get us close to where we need to be. If i had called the third number as a nine (6.4.9) then the fourth number would be a seven (6.4.9.7). It's not an exact science but it gets us real close to your location + or - your altitude. There are some out there that add a fifth number to this but for our use of this system we only use the four numbers. If anyone would like to add to or suggest, please post below.
<S>

Generalmajor Doc
@doctrdart