thinking about coming back

For applying to join JG51, JG77, or TK
brooky

thinking about coming back

Post by brooky »

FIRST. my apologies for posting this in a place that was clearly not intended for it.

wow... it's not a good sign for me that it is so difficult to find anywhere to readily post requesting current info on WB. however, here is what I have been trying to find a place to post.

Mornin’ y’all!

I wanted to introduce myself, and then promptly bombard you with a bunch of questions.
I used to fly wb’s a long time ago. 96ish? I played w/ 56k dial up on a 13”? monitor. Back when I started flying, the way you took a field was to bomb the targets till you closed it, and then someone just had to land on the field. Of course by the time I quit playing, the JU-88 had come along, and our tactic was to fly as low as poss, and then pitch vert above the tower and dump our paratroops.
Anyway, I flew gold with ?58th? my handle was brooky, and I some of my squad mates were –bjh-, starre. That’s all the handles I remember… wow, been a long time!
Anyway, I’ve been thinking about coming back, but I would have to invest some money, since I don’t even HAVE a home pc anymore, and I would definitely want to take advantage of having grown up amounts of resources. IE. Triple monitors, good stick and rudder pedals. Maybe even build that sim cockpit I though would be cool when I was a 20 yr old navy aircraft mechanic. That being the case, I don’t want to invest for a dead/dying game. How is the community doing, how is enthusiasm, and attendance in the arena? Do they still regularly do scenarios?
Also, looking at the system requirements, it takes comparatively little computing power to run the game. It appears as though I can get a $400 desktop from best buy, or even walmart, and have more than enough power to run the game well? I haven’t followed computer upgrades since I quit playing pc games in 2000? So not only would I be starting from scratch on the game, but also on the computer!
Any advice or insight is welcomed!

Lynn
drdart
Site Admin

Re: thinking about coming back

Post by drdart »

<S> lynn,

I am sure the game has changed much since the late 90's. When getting a PC try to find something that has or can handle a shader 3 video card. If the PC can handle that type of card then the rest is just stacking it with memory and processing speed. Most new PC's should run the game but not all will be able to run it on full graphics.

I will post a couple links for you to get in touch with the community of warbirds and not just our group. ( although if you like the dark side , you found the right place. ) :D

Warbirds Forum is here

Squad Select Series Forum is here
<S>

Generalmajor Doc
@doctrdart

Re: thinking about coming back

Post by Guest »

Thanks doc. Unfortunately, you have to have a current wb account to register and post on the forum. I sent them a message with my old info... Maybe they will hook me up